Sunday, March 13, 2005

planet of the apes

I apologize for my absence yesterday. I was playing in back-to-back finals for the recreational netball and beach volleyball leagues I’ve been playing in, and was a bit knackered at the end of the day. You may not be familiar with netball, but I’m told it was invented years ago when basketball was considered too rough for women. So it’s like basketball, but with a number of modifications to make it easier for weak and soft people. Of course, I don’t agree that basketball is too rough for women, but as I consider myself weak and soft I’m quite happy to have found netball. For example, one modification is that a defender has to stand 3 feet back from a shooter. When I played basketball, the one thing I could do was hit shots if nobody was threatening me with any harm or humiliation, so netball is perfect for me. Some people have tried to call me a good netball player, but I prefer to think of myself as a poor basketball player who has discovered the sport version of the Land of Misfit Toys.

There’s a useful analogy here; that thinking of yourself only in terms of your traits misses a big part of the picture. There’s so much political show-off talk about “character,” but I think a healthier way to think about your personality is in terms of what situations you respond to well or not so well. This actually is the meta-lesson of social psychology, so it’s hardly a unique insight. But it has important implications. For example, doctors are so keen to prescribe anti-depressants. I’ve heard figures of something like 25% of the population is depressed. In a society that thinks in terms of traits and character, depression is the result of the individual. But if 25% of society is depressed, isn’t it more likely that the problem is with the conditions we live under rather than the people themselves?

We often laugh at pets because their behaviour seems so silly in a human context. My cat will often use the litter box, then do scraping motions in the air that are totally non-functional. When he’s out in the dirt, though, he does the same scraping motions and they make a lot more sense, they cover his urine with dirt. But we are no more in our natural environment than he is. Much of our instinctive behaviour evolved to deal with the problems presented by environments like the African savannah. For example, I’d argue that we get so worked up about things like insults because expulsion from our tribemates meant death. Try living without a group in an environment like the Australian outback for a few days, and find out just how reliant we really are on others. So we evolved in a context where rejection really was a life or death matter, and now we react to rejection that way. For example, people often get really angry and aggressive on the road if their driving is insulted (i.e., road rage). This, to me, is no different than the cat scraping uselessly into the air – we have a certain repertoire of responses that don’t really fit well with the modern situation because they weren’t designed for this situation. We’re probably better off taking the meaningless insult, and getting on with more important things. But this “character” thing we’re talking about, ironically enough, is portrayed as doing stuff like standing up for your honour by fighting with fists. Ultimately, we’re all just monkeys in cages of our own devising.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On a related note, I think that all 'traits' need to be evaluated within the context in which they're embedded. Which means that reductionist approaches (e.g. neuroimaging) will NEVER give us correct answers in the social sciences. I guess that the drawback is that holistic approaches are much more difficult to model and mathematise...

Really just saying the same thing you were in a different way...

9:02 p.m.  
Blogger DNA The Splice of Life said...

Tim,
I semi-agree with you, with one caveat. Reductionism is useful to learn about the "parts" we are dealing with but not how they work together. To get "correct" answers you need reductionism used in conjunction with more wholistic approaches. Think of it as examining the level below and above your area of interest to understand the potentials and constraints, respectively.

4:33 a.m.  
Blogger H. Now said...

Yeah, I have ambivalence about reductionism. There's no question that it can lead you far off-track, but I also worry about how people use anti-reductionist arguments. A lot of people take them too far in order to deny uncomfortable truths - e.g., reductionism says humans evolved like other animals. So, I feel like embracing a contextualized version of reductionism has led to a lot of intellectual growth by forcing me outside of my comfort zone. I guess I just worry about the growing rejection of science, and a simple version of anti-reductionism (not like those presented here) is a potential weapon.

7:57 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dna -
I think you're exactly correct. I just react strongly against reductionism due to my background in economics, where it is rife, and where there is no coherent thought given AT ALL to how things might work in a larger context.

and SS -
see above, and plus, I share your fear about anti-scientific tendencies. On the other hand, the evolutionary sciences have been severely restricted over the years due to this fear - that failing to present a united front will give ammunition to the creationists. Which in a way is letting them win without even trying...

9:57 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just feel that evolutionary psych lends itself to essentialist, reified interpretations of behaviour - e.g. your analogy annoyed me bSS (road rage : humans = paw scraping : cats). Give me a break! Road rage is recent, normative, socially conditioned [Western cults, men in expensive cars] not a manifestation of our evolved biology. Or no more a manifestation of our bio evolution than the hugely more common reactions to insult such as road apathy, road resignation, & road not-paying-attention, singing-out-loud-out-of-tune-obliviously.... :P

1:52 p.m.  
Blogger H. Now said...

now this is getting fun...

i suspect your filter of interpretations of evolutionary psych caused you to read something into my post that wasn't there. i would never suppose that road rage is "in the genes."

But how about the tendency to be aggressive in response to insults? Surely, this forms the basis of road rage. And my point is that this relation between aggression and insults is a product of an environment we no longer live in.

Just like paw scraping is a behaviour for cats from an environment (at least mine) no longer lives in.

Any good evolutionary psychologist (not me, I'm a social psychology - focusing on the environment's role in shaping behaviour) would tell you that evolution prepares individuals to learn certain associations. So saying that road rage is recent and learned is not at all inconsistent with an evolutionary explanation.

But why do we so easily learn to aggress in response to rejection (as shown across cultures), and not learn some other behaviour, like becoming flirtatious let's say?

Look, you really should be suspicious of evolutionary arguments. But it is just undeniable that we are acting out old patterns of behaviour (or at least old patterns of learning) in an environment where they are just not funcitonal.

2:15 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to affirm your blog as a great way of spending the workday thinking about psych ... ;) Also I note yr social psych credentials & acknowledge you as an ingroup member. :P

Re "But it is just undeniable that we are acting out old patterns of behaviour (or at least old patterns of learning) in an environment where they are just not funcitonal." It is too deniable. That is what I meant when I said, why say road rage (or aggression in response to rejection) is bio? Road apathy, resignation is more common. That's why I say insults: road rage is not like the cat paw:urine relationship.

Similarly, isn't it the case that tho' aggression is often provoked by rejection, few people react to rejection w/ aggression. Normal reactions = superconformity, compliance, or even internalized self-blame. Think of your own reactions to a revise & resubmit (that was great T btw). My "evolutionary logic" is that since rejection is a deadly threat it triggers appeasement, submissive behaviours. Since parental rejection is the heuristic for all rejection the default gut reaction = to trustingly correct erroroneous behaviour. That's why I hate evolutionary logic = that you can work out a rationale for anything.

Evolutionary people appear to take heaps of these asymmetric relationships as the basis for false syllogisms. E.g., men and rape, insults & violence, men & promiscuity. Biological analogies are wreaking havoc w/ people's diagnostic reasoning....

2:46 p.m.  
Blogger H. Now said...

Physical aggression is rare, but interpersonal aggression (and displaced interpersonal aggression), I'd argue, is common. I think conformity and appeasement are likely, and are evolutionarily functional, but the choice between appeasement and aggression likely depends on some human version of dominance rank.

I could not agree more than evolution has provoked some lazy thinking (esp. with sex roles), but how do we avoide ignoring evolution when it HAS to have provided the foundation for our biology, and hence one pillar of our behaviour?

2:59 p.m.  
Blogger H. Now said...

p.s. I love my lack of spelling today. "Avoide" is a good word. It's like olde English...e.g., "I'll goe to the shoppe."

3:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Physical aggression is rare, but interpersonal aggression (and displaced interpersonal aggression), I'd argue, is common."
It's an empirical question - I doubt it.

Surely literature in family counselling reinforces the intuition rejection in committed relationships -> usually leads to pursuit, negotiation, appeasement, hurt, self-blame, overcorrection. And in secure uncommitted usually leads to withdrawal/avoidance I bet. Only context for rejection -> aggression = dominance/control urges related to committed insecure relationship. This is totally my perception of social baselines as well. Surely you agree rejection is very very common, aggression is rare? Even aggressive urges are rare.

Normal relationship aggression most commonly probably represent displaced anger from other aspects of one's life (e.g., work stress) taht is expressed in the secure relationship context. :P

"I could not agree more than evolution has provoked some lazy thinking (esp. with sex roles),"
Yeah...

"but how do we avoide ignoring evolution when it HAS to have provided the foundation for our biology, and hence one pillar of our behaviour?"
All behaviour is explained by evolution, by definition, therefore it's a crap explanatory framework - this is my simple heuristic. Putting it another way, everything that we do is constrained by, an expression of, our evolutionary heritage, so of course it's important. But the attributions we make for what we do why, the tendency to biologise & reify the behavioural repertoire of 21st c Australian psychologists, = deeply suspect. I don't think we have a grip on universals, I think we're doing a lot of extravagant projection based on our own cultural prejudices. But everything that we do not have in common w/ the h pop of 100 or 1000 or 10,000 years ago must be primarily about culture & learning.

"the choice between appeasement and aggression likely depends on some human version of dominance rank"
It's an empirical question - I doubt it though! It's about norms....

The point for me is that aggression *is a dysfunctional & rare way to react to rejection. So even if we were proximally governed by our bio, we would have learned differently, like all the other pack critters did - learned to submit, groom, & ingratiate. That is what most people do most of the time, I think - but it is an empirical question.

3:54 p.m.  
Blogger H. Now said...

I actually think this is an empirical question that has kind of been settled already. Again, if you're calling aggression as increased assertiveness and not punching/kicking per se, then aggression is common. There's the demand/withdraw cycle, where an aggressive demand leads to withdrawl due to feeling overwhelmed, which leads to more demand when the other becomes unresponsive, and so on. It's kind of mutual reinforment of fight and flight.

Maybe this is a genderized discussion - men more commonly take a demanding role and women take a withdrawl role. Maybe we're arguing for the processes we've each been socialized into.

I mean, evolved into ;0).

4:54 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"aggression as increased assertiveness "? Oh, is that what we mean?... I thought you meant attempts to hurt the other / hurtful behaviour.

Aggression as assertiveness, that's not the same as "fight" then eh? What does it mean, just that you pay attention and try to react?

Re gender issues, have you read that Shelly Taylor tend & befriend paper? What do you think?

5:09 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home