Monday, February 28, 2005

musings on being punched in the face

I'm very proud of myself for sorting out the time stamp for the posts, so it no longer appears that I do most of my writing in the middle of the night. I fear this will help my enemies better track my movements, but I have strong faith in my ability to fight my way out of any situation, and am thus willing to take the risk.

In truth, it's likely a very good thing I don't have enemies intent on my destruction. I mean, there's a certain obviousness in a statement like that, but I suspect my ability to fight off enemies is a number of standard deviations below the mean. I have been in very few physical fights, and probably none if the criterion for a fight is one where you realize what's going on quickly enough to fight back. I also suspect that to successfully ward off those intent on ruining you, you need a certain degree of tenaciousness and organization. I worry that fighting off my enemies would lead me to miss too many episodes of Survivor, and so I would question the value of the whole exercise.

Individuals who are drawn to boxing mystify me. Some people seem to enjoy being hit in the face. I would have thought evolution would have dealt with these people's ancestors severely - frankly, I think this presents a serious challenge to the evolutionary view. I was reading tonight about Mitochondrial Eve, our common ancestor. Maybe it just so happened that she had all these fantastic genes that provided her with amazing adaptive advantages, plus one that led her to enjoy being hit in the face. And now we're stuck with it. I suspect it's related to the gene that leads people to become interested in the lives of celebrities.

I would write a poem to connect these random paragraphs, except I strongly suspect it would be in the form of a rude limerick. I'll leave it at that for tonight.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

True story - I was at a party Tuesday & heard re million dollar baby this woman had been so moved & depressed by it that she was still crying when she got home. This was relayed at third hand. Then later on the woman herself appeared and started talking about the story again and again started crying (days after seeing it, apparently). This testimonial leaves me w/ no urge to see the movie ...

3:04 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The advantage to having enemies intent on your destruction is that if you have them, you'll almost certainly get to have minions as well. Or at least a henchman...

7:44 p.m.  
Blogger H. Now said...

I am almost always underwhelmed by the Oscar winner. The exception is probably American Beauty. Favourite movie this year? Napoleon Dynamite. But I'll probably see MDB eventually, always good to know what direction the herd is heading.

...and I'd settle for an apprentice, or even a butler.

10:02 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you in essence saying:

Sonny is a boxer.
Sonny enjoys hitting and being hit.
All people engaged in pugilism love Paris Hilton.
Therefore, Sonny loves Paris.

3:29 a.m.  
Blogger DNA The Splice of Life said...

It goes to show that just becuase natural selection may be the force behind our behavior that it is not infallable. I also wonder if there might actually be a use for this "desire to be punched in the face" gene. Maybe these people exist for our benefit to help us displace aggressions against people who might actually hurt us if we hit them :)

7:30 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe boxing has nothing to do with our genes.

And, btw, Shall We Dance should have won the oscar.

11:03 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home