Tuesday, March 15, 2005

I know, Billy, it's hard sometimes

We have a feral cat that lives in our neighbourhood who has more or less adopted us. Originally, I figured if we ignored it, it would go away. So I did things like avoiding eye contact. After it had well and truly adopted us, I read in a book about cats that avoiding eye contact actually encourages them, because direct stares are a signal of threat. This is, apparently, why people who are allergic often attract cats – we use our human social signal to ward them off, but they interpret it as a cat social signal of welcoming.

We have named the cat Billy.

I feel bad for Billy. Her family used to live two doors down, but seem to have left and left her behind. We called the humane society, but they said they’d put her down if she wasn’t adopted in three days. She’s surviving, although skinny, so we decided to leave things alone. Billy had a nice meal the other day when she caught a rat that was eating grapes off the neighbour’s vine. She has scratches on her nose, presumably from the cat fight we heard a couple of nights ago. Billy is perpetually sweet, and desperate for pets (or “pats” as they call them here). She is pathetic in both her devotion and overwhelmingly positive response to the slightest physical contact.

When I saw Billy this morning, I heard myself saying, “I know, Billy, it’s hard sometimes.” It just is.

I wish we could talk about this kind of thing more openly in day-to-day life; how life is often hard, how we all have dangerous secrets, how we all have unfulfilled dreams we’re afraid to pursue. In my lecture this morning I was talking about social comparison, and how when people feel threatened, they look for easy targets they can compare themselves to in order to feel better. That is, we pick on people as a sort of grown-up security blanket. This fully explains the Jerry Springer show to my satisfaction – no matter what a loser we feel like, we can always find someone who’s even more of a loser on television to make us feel big again. Of course, for some of us, we watch George Bush instead of Jerry Springer.

But think about the consequences of a whole society quelling its fears by mocking and humiliating each other. Especially now that it’s so easy to do this, not to the faces of real people, but to abstractions of others who we’ve never met personally. So Bill Bennett diverts his attention from having gambled away the family home by figuring that at least he’s not gay. Rush Limbaugh covers the pain with pills, then covers the pills with hatred of anyone who does not resemble his ideal vision of his father.

Try asking yourself who you hate, and why it is you really hate them.

Then ask yourself who you love, and tell them you love them as soon as you can.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I was going to say that when I needed to feel better about mysefl, I came and read your journal, but it's so out of keeping with the spirit of the entry that I won't... :) Can't be a smart-ass all the time...

But as I've told you before, I am really happy that you two have ended up down here.

And hey - you got the tracker going! It looks like it is working and everything....

7:15 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And when I want you to feel better about yourself, I leave comments with words like 'mysefl' in them like an idiot!!

7:16 p.m.  
Blogger H. Now said...

i appreciate you falling on your sword, and your kind words and support in getting this blog going.

8:47 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like billy.

bb & the bunnies.

8:51 p.m.  
Blogger Nancy said...

Group hug!

;)

10:18 p.m.  
Blogger DNA The Splice of Life said...

To follow the logic to it's ultimate end, who would the people onm Jerry Springer compare themselves to? Jerry Falwell? What about JF? Sponge Bob?....Where does the madness end

12:51 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's DNA for ya - follow the blog to its logical conclusion! Meanwhile I just basked in the warm and fuzzies.... Now do you see why I pine for the "gentle" Ron McLean?

2:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally when I want to feel better about mysefl [sic!] I log onto the web site and check out how much death insurance I've accumulated from my pension fund. I don't know why this makes me feel better - something about how it signals worth, achievement, the ability to secure my family from beyond the grave. :) Works every time ....

Other than that my bad-mood-managemetn escapism is oriented to fantastic positivity (heroic space travellers, clever detectives, witty romantic heroines, etc.). Social comparison of identification & aspiration ...

I suppose though that students provide a ready-made & neverending affirmation of competence through cluelessness of other.

Sometimes it motivates generosity, mentoring, & kindness to feel smart & wealthy & great, eh!

2:19 p.m.  
Blogger H. Now said...

Yeah, I had my parents visit me recently, and went through that process in spades. It's hard to do honestly, but I'm trying to teach myself that defensiveness is a signal of negative self-evaluation that should be explored, not denied.

5:22 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home