Wednesday, February 23, 2005

we are the random thought generation

The state of jazz makes me sad. It has this identity of rebellion (I saw one of the Marsalis brothers getting very huffy about this, reminding an interviewer about its bordello origins), but any new releases are so dry and antiseptic. They seem like shadow puppets of the original - a monochrome, 2-dimensional representation. All music that survives will eventually be classical music. They are building jazz-only concert halls. I suspect prostitutes, to whom jazz owes so much, will not be welcome there. Be patient, there will be rock and roll halls, very safe, clean places you can take the kids to without being afraid. I like electronica infused jazz, and indeed once thought it had danger in it, but its usefulness for 30 second commercials ended that abruptly.

To me, it's about how the system absorbs dangerous elements by making culture highly profitable. Culture must pander to survive, long-term. It became obvious when Bob Dylan was purchased by Victoria's Secret. Nowadays, Shrek seems rebellious - oooooooh, they took shots at Disney. Yes, they took shots - that you can only see if you know Disney as well as Disney wants you to know them. Everyone's a winner.

Was it better when New Kids on the Block at least pretended it was about the music? I really don't know. Now, punk bands thank their fans for pushing their album to Number 1, and the void grows.

You have to be careful of the stories you tell yourself. Australians are famous for their suspicion of authority. At least, they're famous for the story that they're suspicious of authority. Sure, there's truth in it, but the story is crystallized while the truth is fluid. This, I guess, is the power of identity - if my story tells me my actions do not represent submission to authority, then it does not matter what actions I take. I am free and strong and not afraid.

How do you know who you really are? More importantly, how do you know what you really are?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And who knew you were so angsty? ;) "Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony." -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)

3:10 p.m.  
Blogger H. Now said...

*grin*

9:57 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home