Monday, April 11, 2005

a small bouquet of quick-hitters

The cold that I thought I had avoided has come looking for payment in full today. Thus, it's best if I avoid trying for a coherent narrative and just go with a couple of quick hitter thoughts:

I read today that up to the age of 8 or so, children are unable to distinguish between the competence they actually have and the competence they want to have. I have a very clear memory as a child of trying to figure out how I was going to balance both my professional hockey and baseball careers, which I think is a good example of this phenomenon. Suffice it to say, the balance has turned out to be VERY easy to handle.

Talking about media violence yesterday reminded me of another t.v./movie pet peeve - the man slap. There's a routine in popular media where the man screws up and the woman slaps him or pours something over him. It's become this reflex, kind of like if you have a kid's movie there has to be a scene where a character eats something then belches. Although there's some debate around the issue, the research has suggested to my satisfaction that women commit as many acts of violence against romantic partners as men do (men's acts are more severe, though, with women much more likely to be hospitalized). A lot of this comes from what's called "common couple violence," where both partners are hitting each other. In fact, this is where some of the debate comes from - some people argue the women's violence is in defence against male aggression. I feel bad for anyone who suffers aggression at the hands of the person they're supposed to be able to trust most, but when I see these acts of violence against men in movies presented as a kind of punch line (pardon the pun), I feel bad for the men who are watching who must feel like the butt of the joke.

I replaced my i.d. photo today. The old one just wasn't very inviting, even if it was from what many people argue is the best Steely Dan album ever. Soon, I should really do a post on the Dan.

Being sick sucks, but I look forward to that feeling for the day or so after it passes when normal functioning feels great. And in the meantime, pseudephedrine rocks!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like that someone found your blog by googling these phrases:

"selling natural gas" "door to door"

Aside from that, I hope you feel better soon.

And the South Park socialsomatic rocks!

8:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home