Wednesday, April 20, 2005

if I saw Odin in my cat's litter, could I get on CNN?

I accepted last night that The Simpsons has jumped the shark. This is a harsh and bitter conclusion, but seems undeniable. They’ve become the institution they’re supposed to be mocking. We’re supposed to think things that aren’t funny are funny because Homer says them. They were brilliant for longer than they had a right to be, but I’m ready to give up. I don’t want to have nostalgia for commercial television, but this I mourn.

Less importantly, it turns out there’s a new pope. I look forward to not hearing about Catholicism every day, although I’m braced for the inevitable funeral which is coming in not very many months. Needless to say, the coverage of the last few weeks has been a painful reminder of media’s sucking at the teat of power. I’m only more reminded of that by the way that we all have to call this dude Benedict now. That’s not his name. It’s really not. I do not know the history behind this new name tradition, and do not care to. It just reminds me too much of declaring war on Oceania and forgetting all about the war on Eurasia. I suspect if Dick Cheney declared he would only be referred to has Overlord Scroto our media would manage the transition seamlessly.

Of course, I see that my hope to not hear about Catholicism every day is already shattered. As I went to cnn.com to double check Benedict’s fake name, I found the headline, “Faithful see Virgin Mary in underpass stain.” I shit you not. Fuck, I cannot tell you how sick I am of these religious projective tests. Seriously, I don’t think an omnipotent god needs to be this subtle. Maybe his batteries are running out – he used to create universes, cause floods, part the Red Sea. Now there’s just enough strength left to make somebody’s poop look vaguely like Jesus’ brother James, if you squint just right, that is.

Colonel Klink, why have you forsaken me?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shouldn't it be 'deluded saps' that are seeing things in freeway underpasses??

This whole pope thing just turns my stomach...

10:50 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the pope...he is neat.

2:24 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some odd reason (likely sleep deprivation, gotta love the end of the semester), I thought you wrote "Faithful see Virgin Mary in UNDERPANTS stain". It wasn't till later in the day while reading the news, I realized my mistake. Interesting that I'd read it that way and not even raise an eyebrow in surprise.

Tim - I'm curious about what aspect of the "whole pope thing" upsets your gastrointestinal tract. Is it popes in general, this one in particular, the media blitz....do tell.

2:10 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All three!

I dislike popes in general, this one in particular sounds highly divisive, and the media blitz is crazy.

My wife was raised catholic and we've had some interesting (read: appalling) experiences with the church over the years...

5:19 p.m.  
Blogger H. Now said...

Hey wife o' dna, very glad to have you back. The underpants stain story will happen eventually, just be patient. Mind you, I'd like to see the person wearing those underpants with icons of the Virgin Mary sticking out of them.

localsh - why don't you marry him? oh yeah, you're not allowed.

tim, at least this one is on a short-term contract. i heard one reporter say it was expected to be a "short papacy." i.e., he's a zombie, i.e., the walking dead. actually, that'd be cool if he was a zombie. i still think it would have been more cool if they had reelected John Paul for another term.

7:21 p.m.  
Blogger David Collett said...

My favorite Christian icon was the Virgin Mary Cheese Sandwich.

It even had a catchy song.

8:53 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pope of the Living Dead?

12:01 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey SS,

Came across the following article entitled "Simpsons" Bows to Pope, and had to post the address (how do I make a link in my comment?).

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/
0,1,16374,00.html

Also, thanks for welcoming me back but I never really left. Have simply been lurking quietly in my shy, unassuming fashion (also lurking at tim's site, who hooked me back in March with the description of the luddite cat faction).

1:56 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Wife o' dna - glad to hear you've been reading mine! Not quite as intellectual as the fare here... :-) you oughta nudge dna himself about updating his - it's a promising start!

I wrote my most recent entry about the cat project partly to bait socialsomatic, but he hasn't taken it yet....

5:13 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home